Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Two Cities One Cup

As I'm sure you know, the Boston Bruins beat Vancouver in an exciting Game 7.  As Boston flew home to celebrate with their fans, Canadians showed their good sportsmanship by burning the city and sending many of their own fans to the hospital.  I really didn't think Canadians had it in them to get so angry and violent.  I guess losing Game 7 to the Canadians is a lot like how my mom felt about Oprah leaving daytime TV.  She still can't talk about it.

So Boston gets to hold onto the Stanley Cup (hockey's most important trophy) for the next year, and all Canada has is a lousy Olympic gold metal from a few months ago... how quickly one forgets.

I happened to be in Bean Town the weekend of the Stanley Cup Parade.  Id' like to say it was on purpose, because then I could maybe write the trip off as a business expense - it wasn't. However, since is was in the city I decided I should make my way to the parade, pay my respects to Stanley, and do a little reporting from the scene.

Here is Stanley in all his glory.

Each of the players rode through the streets of Boston on a Duck.  A Duck is a military vehicle turned tourist trap that can maneuver on land and water.  I know this because the day before I went on the tour (insert laughter here).  

While waiting the two and a half hours it took before the parade came through in the blazing hot sun among the Bruins fans in their black and yellow I couldn't help thinking - this might possibly be the closest I ever come to seeing Stanley in all his glory.  That is unless I bump into him at a local strip club.  I hear the players enjoy taking him for a dance now and then.  I wonder if the players tell the strippers they can look but not touch... In any event, the odds of that happening are only slightly higher than that of Oprah returning to daytime TV.


No comments:

Post a Comment